Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Journal Post 7

The serious online learning game.
Hangman Game: The Solar System and Planets

I was playing a few serious learning games before I came upon this game, the reason that this specific game called my attention was because of the title: Planets and Solar System. My major being Biology for Middle School Education, I thought to myself how adequate this game would be for my sixth grade classroom. As a student myself, I had a hard time remembering the solar system and all the planets when I was in middle school, aware that some students may have trouble remembering the correct names and their positions, playing this game would help my students have fun while learning. 

As I continue to play this game of hangman, the following question goes: _______ is the largest planet in our solar system, the next question is :_____ is often called the red planet. I believe this game is very well rounded in the all the aspects of the solar system, but not very in depth, which is good. I am not looking for profundity at this time in the school year. I am looking for a foundation for my students to build on and this game his my students the proper first steps to approach a year of solar system and planets with the correct understanding. 


If my lesson for the week is for my students to learn the planets and the solar system, I will have them play the solar system game and have them make their own PowerPoint presentations on what they learned from the game, while adding pictures to their slideshow to represent that they understood the lesson and will be ready for the upcoming quiz. My students will be informed after the first time that they play this game, that I will be quizzing them on the planets and the solar system, therefore, they know that not only do they have to play around, but they really have to absorb the information in order to complete the assignment with the PowerPoint presentation. 

This is a screen shot of what the game looks like while it is being played, as you can see, I was typing in "VEN" for the planet Venus, which would be the correct answer, but I wanted to demonstrate what it looked like when a letter would be incorrect and how the stick figure would develop on the left hand side of the board.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good incentive for remembering facts about the solar system. Instead of creating a PowerPoint, you might want them to come up with their own "game" that focuses around the same content (giving them a chance to further engage in the material) or even add more Hangman-type questions. Great simulation of how you might use in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete